- What causes teeth staining? Tooth stains caused by lifestyle habits: Foods/drinks: Coffee, tea, colas, wines, and some starchy foods such as pasta or potatoes, can create conditions that cause staining. Smoking also stains your teeth.
- How can I prevent teeth staining? Prevention is pretty easy when it comes to stained teeth. Avoid certain foods and beverages that stain your teeth, keep up with good oral care routines including brushing twice daily, rinsing with mouthwash and flossing daily, chewing sugar-free gum between meals, and seeing your dentist at least twice a year.
- What foods stain your teeth? Foods that are bright or bold in color are the most likely to stain your teeth. Red pasta sauces, berries such as blueberries and raspberries, and bright curries all can contribute to teeth staining.
- What drinks cause teeth staining? Like foods, drinks with bold colors are most likely to cause teeth staining. Avoid red wines, coffee and tea, and even dark soft drinks. Daily consumption can stain your smile.
- Does green tea stain your teeth? Tea of all colours erodes enamel and has been shown to stain teeth, even white and green teas.
- Do braces stain your teeth? Sometimes mild stains are visible once braces are removed, but it’s not the braces, it’s the way the teeth were taken care of while the braces were on. Avoid using whitening products while wearing braces so you don’t over whiten the area of your teeth surrounding the brackets.
- Does charcoal help with teeth staining? Activated charcoal has been trending as its natural properties for removing toxins and odor have it showing up in everything from facial products to soaps to toothpaste. Currently, we have not seen any proven results that it works.
- Are all types of tooth stains reversible? There are three primary ways teeth are stained: surface stains; under the surface stains; and age-related stains. All three can benefit from teeth whitening processes.
- How do I know if I need teeth whitening? If you feel your teeth could be more white, talk to us at Kew Dental about whether or not we recommend the treatment at a consultation appointment. The condition of your teeth, as well as the cause of the stains, will help us to determine your best options.
- Do whitening products really help with teeth staining? There are a variety of teeth whitening products available that offer different results, pros and cons, and pricing. Learn more about the teeth whitening options here to find more.
- When is the best time to do teeth whitening? You’ll need to make sure you’re teeth are free from decay, so the best time to start teeth whitening is after your professional teeth cleaning appointment.
- Is teeth whitening permanent? No, teeth whitening processes are not permanent. You may need additional future treatments or can choose to limit the cause of your stains to prolong the whitening effects and prevent stains.
- Are there any side effects to teeth whitening? Some patients may experience sensitivity with their teeth after a teeth whitening treatment. Over or misuse of whitening products can damage enamel and cause permanent discoloration, including getting the procedure done at a beauty salon or using products purchased online.
Still have questions about teeth staining? Please feel free to call us on (03) 9817 3685, our experienced team at Kew Dental would be glad to help.